Christmas in Germany without Christmas cookies is pretty much no Christmas at all 😎 so despite being on the other side of the world in blazing heat, I am trying to get into a festive spirit.
Today I am going to tell you how to make German Vanillekipferl. They have always been my favourite and are so unlike most biscuits you can find around, whether during Christmas or not.
So here’s the recipe (slightly modified for New Zealand ingredients)…
- 400g butter
- 560g flour
- 120g sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 4 teaspoons of vanilla essence (equals 120g vanilla sugar or 4 packages of vanillin sugar in Germany)
- pre-heat oven to 180°C
- mix all ingredients together in a bowl
- knead the dough until all the ingredients are combined
- roll out little mountain-shaped Kipferl as shown in the picture above
- bake for 15 to 20mins in the oven at 180°C until golden yellow
- let Kipferl cool down, then roll in a mix of icing and vanilla sugar
And this is what they should like when they’re finished. If you have a recipe you would like to share, please pop it in the comments below!